Hi Shaun,
To be honest I'm not quite sure of all of the details yet. As I have
said many times most of this is on the drawing board so to speak.
Things can change a lot between now and a beta release. In fact, a lot
of what I have just mentioned on list hasn't been implemented yet, are
things I'd like to do, but haven't done because of lack of time. Case
in point.
Although, I'd certainly like to add the ability to select the class of
starship at present that feature isn't available. When I first began
the STFC 2 project I was strictly thinking of TNG era ships such as
the Galaxy-Class and Nebula-Class ships seen on the television series.
As a result you started out with ships like the Enterprise, Lexington,
Monitor, and Sutherland. Optionally you can build the phoenix,
Faragut, Odyssey, and  Venture. After a while though I realized I
could expand the game to be more like SoundRTS where you could begin
with say the Constitution-Class of the classic Star Trek television
series and research and build everything up to the Sovereign-Class of
Star Trek 8, 9, and 10. In order to do this the game requires a major
rewrite which will take months if not a year or more to complete.
Basicly, the game I now plan on releasing is fundimentally different
than the one I started writing months ago, and needs to be majorly
rewritten before I release a beta. I really can't say what features I
will eventually settle on for the beta release as it is going to be
considerably harder to write than the previous versions of the game.