Hello Scott,
As for being able to interrupt the intro scenes etc that was just
added in beta 13. It was a very popular request. So I'm glad you like
it.
As for speech being on its own thread I hope to do that eventually.
However, it probibly won't appear before 1.0. The reason is all
attempts to do this has ended up in an extremely unstable engine and
the game constantly crashed. i decided to go for stability rather than
continue experimenting with that feature at this time. So the jury is
still out on that request. I can't tell you for sure when that feature
will be added to the game engine.
As for adding menu sounds I'm sure I could do that. Once upon a time
there were such sounds in the game, but people complained about them
so I took them out. I suppose I can put them back in the game in beta
14.
As for key repeat there is no way to set the rate on a per key basis.
However fast the input thread polls the keyboard is how fast each and
every key is checked for a key press or key release state. There is
not any way to change the behavior of this or that key beyond that
other than splitting keyboard input into multiple threads which is not
a good idea at all.

Cheers!