I aggree with all of this including their stupid polocies, ie profesional to run pro systems and extra packages to use remote services etc. However I doubt I will be changing to anything, I havn't upgraded in ages, and probably won't for a bit. but since I am stuck with the software unless I spend a large load of cash to get and learn a fully new reader which is not going to happen right now thats not gona be the case. I use hal and nvda, happily nvda is recognised, probably because the libraries use it and they need to. Since we are sort of going off topic though I will bring it back in a sort of round about manner by saying that the braillenote by humanware is being recomended now to young people, it costs about 20 grand but is a pocket pc.
My issue with this is that again we are limited by sertain tasks.
we can use calc, write, and do email and basic net stuff.
But if we need more ie we are not or rather some of us that are not stupid ignorant people which I hope most are not.
at least I hope so if they are intrested on games, well.
I know frotz games are playable on there but nothing else not tads or hugo or even other games.
the os is a windows ce system but its locked to the keynote apps.
I concider this forcing people into having to use sertain software.
Also this time its all braille and no screen so if something really goes wrong the sighted can't even do anything, not sure if you can put an external screen on there but still. Then there is the fact all the interfaces are blind friendly which is good but also bad as technical support can only go through blind things, no good if you have an issue with your isp and it turns out to be a part of your oh so nice blind equipment.
THen the expence.
I guess I grew up with freedom for the most part.
I have jaws 6.20, hal 5.21 , nvda 2010.1, several games, and most software I want on the system. in addition any system i choose can have speech and all have nvda and hal on them.
I would never have the freedom on the keynote.
you can't install standard windows updates or anything.
So I still think having a system thats standalone would be good.
I think though if every blind person stopped using their windows reader and started using a superior mac then hmmmm.