Hello Nicol,
To be honest usenet news ggroups are rapidly becoming a thing of the
past, and are being replaced with mailing lists and forums. Most cable
internet providers like Road Runner, Comcast, etc  don't even offer
usenet news ggroup support. So even if a person wanted to access the
news group they couldn't if their isp doesn't support usenet news any
longer. Those that still do support usanet news have in the last few
years began black listing certain news groups because of software
piracy, porn, and anything else they believe might offend their
customers. While their filters wouldn't effect us so much it is still
the idea the internet providers are helping bring an end to usanet
news simply by interfearing with a person's choice what groups he or
she might want to join regardless if it contains porn or whatever.
As far as subscribing to a news group goes not all e-mail clients have
built in news group support. I know Outlook Express, Microsoft
Outlook, and I think Thunderbird does, but there are many that do not.
As usanet news continues to dwindle so will the clients that support
dwindle. So the fact of the matter is creating a new usanet news group
now is pretty much a lost cause since support for usenet news is
rapidly becoming a thing of the past.
A better alternative to usenet news is a forum similar to what
Audiogames.net uses. That way all messages are archived on the server,
and can be browsed through online through a standard web browser like
Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari, whatever. Plus the advantage of
using a forum is that you can use an internet search engine like
Google, Bing, or Yahoo to find messages if the forum is public. There
are lots of advantages of forums, and they are quickly replacing the
usenet news groups and even some mailing lists.
Finally, as far as news groups saving people from having their mail
boxes being cluttered that's true, but news groups can get rather
cluttered with messages if they are very active. So one way or another
weather it is an e-mail list like this one or a news group you still
have the task of sorting through x number of posts one by one. The
only solution for that problem is, as I said above, is a forum. At
least with an online forum you can read posts listed by topic rather
than trying to waid through x number of posts that may or may not be
in any kind of order. How the e-mail or news group posts are aranged
often depends on your mail/news client.
So, in short, to answer your question candedly I definitely don't
think a usanet news group is a good idea. Instead of helping the VI
comunity grow it would do much more harm than good. It would restrict
people access to the usanet news group because of their ISP, their
mail client might not even have news support, and it wouldn't even
solve the problem that you intended it to fix.

HTH