Hi Shaun and all,
The registration is a bit annoying. In order to get an account you can email the forum administrator, as there's a default captcha on top of that question about the fifth planet. Anyway, you don't need to register to download the game, just go to the Academy forum, and from there to installation. You should be able to see links for patches from there. The sequence you need is 4.91 (full installer), 5.10, and 5.20. You may not actually need 5.10 but I figure it's safe to do it just in case. That Academy forum is a good place to read up on the game in general. There are some tutorials posted, though some of them are out of date. In general you have to do a lot of reading to get your head around this game. It's just a fact of life.
Also, read the installation instructions carefully when you find them.
Best,
Zack.