Hi Shaun,
I know the feeling. If you can stomach it, I'd really recommend giving them another go. Aurora requires a lot of patience and reading at first to really have a clue what you're doing, sadly. Hopefully at some point in the near future there will be more complete manuals and such, but for now the forum will have to do. Starfire was the original program which Aurora was based on. It's not supported any longer: all the development is focused on Aurora and that's the one you want to try. Don't hold your breath about sound support. It's mostly for theme music for different empires and such, not really for gameplay. It's a text-based game at heart. Patience is key. Read the tutorials in the Academy or on the wiki, ask questions if you have them. It's worth sticking with.
All the best,
Zack.