Hi Hayden,
I numbered the levels in the Sarah game as chapters as you do go down and up from the first level. The game engine forces me to use positive numbers for each level so I can't marked the basement as sub 1 and the dungeon as sub 2 and the chamber of secrets as sub 3. In the original demo, I had both the basement and dungeon on the first chapter but the game slowed down so much that I was forced to split off the dungeon, and arbitrarily named it chapter 11. Then after chapter 8 which is the seventh floor, you have seven towers to visit so I had to split some of them off as separate chapters.
In the current version there are six,
The owlery,
the Astronomy tower,
The headmaster's tower,
The divination classroom,
and the two house towers.
In the update I am working on I added the clock tower.
I think J.K. Rowling used the number 7 in the books many times such as 7 years of study, 7 floors in the castle,and ultimately 7 books in the series.
Phil