Hi.
tom there is another way, to do the sounds but its going to be consuming to do.
in night of parasite sounds are at the same volume or rather less, depending where they are. however each position centre, slightly right, medium right and hard right same with left and behind are seperate files.
OFcause this means a bigger game.
It also means a lot of initial work, with editing and fiddling with the sfx but this could be a way to handle the sounds. in beta 13 I hear a monster to my right its quiet ish because its to my right it comes closer and closer and gets louder and louder. however its never fully in the centre in fact once it is I am sure its to close same with the pits. right now once the sound gets in the to close or almost to close its to loud and vice versa though I know its there at the range I need it so can handle it.
Though I don't have the file anymore I went back to beta 13.
One way you could have the game do things is have the sounds compressed in a big file to make it smaller then during install the file is uncompressed.
not sure how it would work, and it would probably take longer than necessary.
I did not notice any lag with the game but I have a duel core of 2.1 ghz with 2gb ram with xp pro and the cpu didn't budge. It may be something to think about though I am sure you are doing your best and not many of us should have single cores anymore.