Hi Lisa,

Well, in order to answer that question it might help to know more
about what exactly you want to create. As I often tell people every
programming language and toolkit has pros and cons. Lets look at a few
for a moment.

If you are only interested in text adventure games like interactive
fiction then something like Inform would probably be your best bet. It
is very simple, written for a inexperienced programmer, but isn't good
ffor much else other than interactive fiction. For that reason it is
pretty specific for that genre of game.

On the other hand there is an all purpose scripting language such as
Python that is very simple to learn, and can write anything from a
story driven interactive text adventure up to something more complex
like SoundRTS. In fact, I know of a couple of screen readers like Orca
and NVDA written in Python so it is a pretty powerful language with a
pretty easy learning curve.

Then, there is the Microsoft .NET sweet of languages like C# .NET and
Visual Basic .NET. These are a bit more complex than Python, but what
makes them nice is there is a huge amount of defined classes that
wrapps the Windows API giving you access to just about everything
through one common interface and set of libraries. This is were many
Windows professional developers are heading do to ease of use, and the
fact that the ..NET Framework is a very powerful piece of software.
.NET can be used to write the simplist text adventure to full featured
Windows applications like vidio games, office sweits, you name it. In
terms of total pay off .NET is probably the best option if you are
thinking of learning to program something else besides just games.
Still in terms of games we have Rail Racer, 3d Velocity, MOTA betas 1
through 10, etc all written in .NET.

Now, if you are tthinking of just writing games BGT is really going to
be your best bet in all likelyhood. Besides the engine being written
in C++ Philip has made it possible to access everything you need like
DirectX, Sapi, Windows timer controls, etc all in one tool without
having to read manuals and programming guides for all that stuff. So
for anyone just interested in games BGT is probably going to be
anyone's first choice, but isn't the only option.

So if you can give us a little more idea of what you plan to do with
your skills once you get them the list and I can help stear you
towards the best solution for you.

HTH