Hi Kevin,

Well, it doesn't have to be open source per say. The point i was
trying to get at is that it has to be some sort of freeware, like the
open source games are, in order to protect the developer from being
sued. If a developer sells a game with a trademark like Star Wars he
or she is definitely liable to be sued if they haven't paid to proprly
license it. If you make it free or open source about the most they can
do is complain and get a judgment to have the material removed from
the website, but if it wasn't being sold it is doubtful they will push
it beyond that point.

As for the prices to license a trademark like Star Wars it is not
rediculous if you keep in mind who these companies are use to dealing
with on a day to day basis. A company like Lucas Film is use to
dealing with big name companies like Raven Software, Activision,
Hasbro, etc. In other words companies that produce millions of dollars
in sales of toys and vidio games. Therefore Lucas Film can charge a
heavy licensing fee, because those companies can easily afford it.
Those licensing fees, however, were never designed with individuals
like you or me in mind unless you are ritch as Bill Gates. That's
where the problem is.

Cheers!