OK, I did a methodical sweep.
I happened to start off far left, so I went pretty deep and went completely to the right corner with a few trips to the surface of course and ended the game without being killed and still geting 72 coins and some bonus keys, even if the score wasn't my objective for this round. But still nothing. Something else should be in this game. Something that tells us how dep we are and our location, are we in the center of the field or are we to the left or the right. A way to announce our current position would be helpful here.
But still nothing about using the bonus keys.
Because I don't know how many "steps" down you can go and because you don't know how many "steps" you can move right or left in the field, the matter is rather complicated.