people just say that because they lack the knowledge of things, an dthe
whilingness of investigating the game history.

-----Mensagem original-----
De: Thomas Ward <thomasward1...@gmail.com>
Para: Gamers Discussion list <gamers@audyssey.org>
Data: Segunda, 27 de Dezembro de 2010 17:03
Assunto: Re: [Audyssey] BGT / Gamepad support?

Hi Bryan,

Yeah, that's just non-sense. I think a lot of VI gamers forget the
fact before Doom was released in 1993 there wasn't such a thing as
First Person Shooters. Before that most mainstream games were all
side-scrollers. Even though they were side-scrollers there were some
serious diferences in the games. You had your walk along beat-m-up
side-scrollers like Double Dragon, Ninja Turtles, and Legend of Kage.
You had your puzzle and maze oriented side-scrollers like Montezuma's
Revenge. You had your blast-m-all games like Super Contra. No matter
what nobody confused say Mario Brothers with Megaman. Even though they
were both side-scrollers the game play, story, and everything else was
fairly different. Why then should side-scrollers stop being produced
just because a half-a-dozen accessible games were released in that
format?

The mainstream market created hundreds of side-scrollers for more than
a decade, and only fell out of fassion once Doom, Quake, and the other
FPS and Third Person type of games became more popular with mainstream
gamers. It certainly wasn't because side-scrollers were boring or
uninteresting. Games like Megaman, Castlevania, and Mario were huge
sellers, and still are big names in the industry. IN fact, there is a
new Mario Brothers game coming out for the Nintendo DS. No, what
happened is games like Doom, Quake, and other games like it became so
popular that mainstream game developers saw a way to improve sales etc
and started creating several games like it. What you might call the
way of the future, a way to be innovative, and break out of the mold
of the 2d side-scroller that they had been creating for a good dozen
years or so. However, for us it is a largely untapped style of game,
and have gotten nowhere near reaching the limit.