Hi Jim,

Well, there are a number of ways you can run into errors by not using
an explicit variable declaration.Usually, caused by accidental typos
and things like that.

For example, you are writing a Blackjack or Poker game. You have a
variable called myCard. Of course, there are a lot of variations on
that like MyCard, my_card, mycard, etc. If you are typing along and
forget the exact way it was written earlier Visual Basic 6, Python,
and various other languages won't flag the misspelled variable and
will simply create a new variable on the stack. Not cool as this can
lead to runtime errors.

The other issue is simply memory leaks. If you use explicit variable
declarations like integer, double, float, boolean, etc it sets aside a
specified amount of memory for that specific variable. If you don't
declare your variables you are waisting memory left and right. If
every single developer did that a 3 GHZ system would run like a 300
MHZ system just because the computer would have to interpret every
single variable, in every single program, and waiste CPU power and ram
doing so. While not an error per say it is still a very nasty habit to
get into because it will eventually result in a reduction in system
performance. It is just not very good coding practice is what I'm
telling you.

HTH