Hi Dark,

Yes, the graphical map available to sighted players is the biggest potential barrier.

Now, in the heyday of the play-by-mail games that RSW is inspired from, there was no such thing as a graphical map for anyone, and all players had to make their own maps out by hand, or go without.

Nowadays, users expect computers to manage tasks like this for them; and it's true that the graphical RSW client does make map-making quite straightforward for the sighted user. A visually-impaired player, without the advantage of this graphical tool, will have to make a map by hand (I think a spreadsheet tool would be adequate for this task). But it is a fair amount of work to do this.

So, there is an imbalance in the amount of effort that the visually-impaired player will have to put in, versus a sighted player.

I've been thinking about this problem over the past couple of days. The current RSW client is not really well-suited for a screen reader. But I think I can, without too much effort, make a new version of the RSW client that is designed from the ground up with a screen reader in mind; and this tool can restore the advantage of effort.

As our practice game progresses, perhaps you (and any other interested players) can provide suggestions for the most effective ways to navigate the map by voice prompts. I will also investigate these other games you suggest.

Thanks!
David