It does indeed mean that the punch has already landed, but that'd be
the same in an accessible version of the same game, or even in real
life would it not? Given that you've missed the chance to defend by
that point, it'd be time to either retreat or counter, and being able
to tell which attacks your opponent is launching, how close they'd
need to be to launch those attacks, the speed and individual fighting
styles of the characters in the game and gamers holding the
controllers are all contributing factors. Luckily, footsteps, dashes,
specials and the like often have sound cues associated with them
nowadays, so a gamer who's done their homework can often defend before
hearing that punch land, which was what you were asking I think. True,
you need quick reactions, but no quicker than the sighted person who's
just jumped back to avoid your attack or blocked your combo. They
didn't see that coming any sooner than you would've heard it if the
roles were reversed. It hasn't always been the case, but in this
particular genre, it's very possible now for blind people to be aware
of their surroundings and their opponents actions, so it's no longer
about who attacks hardest.

I'm not knocking your taste in games at all, if beat 'em ups aren't
your thing then that's one less person who's waiting in line to beat
me lol. As far as actual mastery of the in-game action goes though,
it's possible to be good at them now as a blind gamer, that's what I'm
getting at.