The answer is both.

One thing which is probably difficult for people who've never played a graphical 2d platformer to understand, is that the game mechanics and amount of vertical movement are extremely! large, far larger than even mota.

you couldn't for instance say, learn to walk forward x amount of steps and then jump, because firstly your jump varies according to how long you hold the button, and secondly there is no guarantee that you'd actually be jumping towards a ledge which is opposite you.

You might jump towards a ledge which is below you, or above, ---- or even you might be going for a ledge which is directly above your head requiring you to jump out, then across then back up (turrican has many of these).

Then, bare in mind that it's not just a question of static ledges. Some platforms move, others (like the famous mega man disappearing blocks), vanish and reappear, others have spikes on them which will instantly kill you meaning you need to jump very carefuly, others move according to your actions so for instance when you jump they'll move aside.

Then, there are enemies. Getting hit knocks you back, so often you need to be quite careful about dealing with enemies before you jump, or waiting for enemies to get in range of your shots before you fire, or waiting to dodge enemy shots in the air, you might even need to jump over enemy fire too.

Then there is the question that different weapons and collectable function differently, and may help you in certain situations, like having a controllable jet sled to fly on for a limited time, or having a weapon which lets you freeze enemies in place to use as platforms.

Then there are the bosses, who's movement patterns, us of weapons and even arenas can be extremely! distinct, though in mega man 1-6 their movements and attacks were relatively simple (they tended to just run around the arena chucking their weapon at you).

and all I've said covers only nes mega man, getting into the later x or zero games where you can do things like kick up walls and hang off them, or use weapons or armours to propel yourself around (with the air dash for instance).

I'm not saying it's impossible, but I think you'd deffinately need some sited assistance in adition to a faq, because everything in the games are so fluid, require distinct reflexes and understanding of mechanics, and because even though there are some very well written and complete faqs for the series, they can only explain so much.

If you can get somebody to watch the screen, and explain things to you, you might have some success with some of the nes games, but it'd take quite a bit of work, and probably wouldn't be worth it for the time you'd spend, sinse afterall, even fully sited people need to practice extensively and spend a good time working on mega man games in order to get anywhere at all.

Beware the grue!