Hi Nicol,

Yes, BGT definitely could create a simple arcade game like Baloon
fight. BGT is a fairly capable audio game development tool and because
it is scripted I'd say there are very few games it could not create.
The ability or power of the engine is mostly in the hands of the
developer and his/her skill level. Other than that the sky is the
limit.

As for copyrights I don't see a real problem with copyrights.
Generally simple arcade games like that aren't heavily copyright
protected, and if you are worried about copyrights make a few miner
changes that would make your own version a little different from the
original.

For example, instead of calling the game Baloon Fight call it Battle
Baloons or Baloon Bomber or something like that. Right there you are
stating to the original copyright holders you are trying to respect
their copyrights by not using their trademark or copyrighted name
brand. You are branching off and making a similar game that isn't 100%
like the original.

You can get creative and add extra bonus levels or special items for
doing this or that in the game. You don't have to create an exact copy
of the game to get the same sort of enjoyment out of it. In fact, I've
found that it is sort of more fun being able to add to or update
certain things in the game that the original didn't have.

For example, James North started off with a simple game idea like
Packman, and ended up creating Dynaman instead. Dynaman has the exact
same kind of fun and entertainment as Packman, but it is also fun in
its own right because there are a number of things in the game that
makes it a little more unique than just another Packman clone.
Personally, its a toss up weather I like Dynaman by Draconis
Entertainment or Packman Talks by PCS Games more. They are both good
games, and are unique enough that there is no reason I wouldn't
happily buy both.

HTH