go to accessability.
beside all keys toggle, sticky and filter, click settings and uncheck the first option which is the shortcut. I am not sure if you can do this in win xp or above but in 98 I had to disable the entire subsystem for access which I don't suggest you do but that got me round.
I have always turned the shortcut keys off for all accesskeys.