Indeed Tom.

I was quite surprised when I first heard that Us term because of the difference in meaning.

Just to be utterly confusing too, the term fag which I understand in the us can be a short form in the same context as faggot in the uk is simply a slang term ffor cigarettes.

In fact in the web game improbable island where cigarettes are a major currency, there's actually a full disclaimer on the subject sinse they got British players talking about wanting more fags which obviously didn't sound right to americans and caused quite a lot of controversy.

Beware the grue!