hmmm this has hit me once.
There is a procedure  to make this work.
Firstly go to www.softwarepatch.com and click on the windows link.
download the windows installer 4.5 and then the 4.5 fix and install both.
So those don't work?
Well then something is mangled.
I know there is a fix but i can't remember where in ms I got it from byt try searching for the error in google and you may find the commands to fix the service it only happened once on one system and after a reformat later on and replacement of that system it never happened again but obvious it happens. I forget what ms tells you to do but it was from the command console and was dead easy.