I've really felt dumb before. I couldn't figure out the way to get around a difficulty in a game. I spent lots of frustrating, but fun, time trying to get past that barrier. So I asked a list of gamers how to get beyond that point. Someone told me to look in a section of the user's guide, and it would give me the answer. While I always go through the user's guide when getting a new beta or game, it had been quite some time since I had gone through it. So, I did as was suggested, and the answer was right there in the guide. Duh?? So, it does not bother me a bit when someone gives the user's guide as a way to find the answers to questions. I give that as a suggestion quite often, but it is usually about some question like, "How do I jump over that pit?" or "How do I climb that rope?", when the answers are the very basic methods of jumping or climbing. If up arrow is the way you jump, and it is clearly documented in the section that lists movement keystrokes, I will not answer on the list, other than by telling them to read the user's guide. That's what it's there for. I don't intend for it to be mean or smart alecky, but it is the best answer. Also, if someone else is having the same problem but they don't want a spoiler, I gave where they can get the answer if or when they want it.

---
Laughter is the best medicine, so look around, find a dose and take it to heart. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Thomas Ward" <thomasward1...@gmail.com>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2011 9:31 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] quick question on a demo I found.

Hi Charles,

I would agree that would be the ideal lister but the world isn't
perfect nor are people. One very common flaw is a lot of people are
just too lazy to look things up. I often get questions on how do I do
this or that in MOTA. I ask have they read the manual where the answer
is and they reply they haven't. As a developer I find that kind of
question both lazy and a tad bit insulting as I spent a good handful
of days writing that manual, and the person didn't even bother looking
at it before posting a question. That kind of question just pushes my
buttons, and frankly makes me angry. Which is why Michael's post set
me off earlier because I went, looked around, and found out the
information just by spending a little time looking for the answer
rather than taking the lazy way out and sending a post.

Personally, I don't think you ripped his head off at all. You, as so many other list members have tried and tried again to tell him, that he should do a little of the work himself rather than send so many questions about games being available, where he can get this or that game, whether a game is blind friendly, what the cost of a given game is, how a given game is played, and
other similar questions that can easily be answered by downloading a game
and reading the user's guide that comes with it, trying a game before asking how to play it, and browsing the sites that contain lists of games and where
to get them.  One extremely annoying type of post I have seen is one that
asks for cheats or how to solve a puzzle in a game that someone doesn't even
have yet.  There is no sense in that.

If I remember right, this list was created for gamers to discuss games that, whether by design or not, are playable by blind people. If, and that is the
key word, if, you get stuck at a particular point in a game, and if?, you
have tried to get beyond that point and just can't seem to figure it out,
and if?, you have looked through the user's guide to no avail, then you
should ask list members for hints or help, but not before you have
previously taken such steps on! your! own!

---