Ok, by playing one tick at a time, I was able to play until I blew up the
game.  At that point, I had amassed 8,932 piranha.  I attempted to purchase
a kayman with my ill-gotten advertising loot and the game crashed.  I have
sent the game save file to Jeremy directly (let me know if you don't get it,
I was going by memory for your email address).  At that point, each tick was
taking upwards of 30 seconds to process, and movement from tile to tile was
similarly choked.

I think I can fairly say that piranha are broken.

Actually, I wonder if it's an artifact of the fact that animals don't appear
to have a life span?  That is, they only appear to die when eaten or when
they starve.  In an earlier mission, I had one turtle for multiple thousands
of ticks while I raised money to buy another one and messed with controlling
the fish population.  There probably ought to be a chance of the creature
dying of natural causes that varies with the creature.  The small ones
should have shorter life spans.  I know this forces you to deal with
absolute time, but it's the only way I can see around the population
bottle-neck, unless there's just something you didn't do with piranhas that
you did with other creatures.  Maybe have a percent chance of death that is
influenced by available food supply.  As the supply vs. the demand goes
down, increase the chance of a given individual dying.

                                Chris Bartlett