Yes, this is a free game.  It should work just fine, on your windows XP
machine.  The object of the game is to build, and maintain an eco system.  Each
mission gives you a series of quests, or goals, that could be anything from
accumulating a certain amount of money, to breeding a certain number of some
particular animal species.  You could think of it as a puzzle game, a strategy
game, and a simulation game.