Hi Tom.

Obviously the batman game on the nes is not as similar to the Mega drive game as I thought, sinse that's deffinately more a platformer, though you stil can punch, use batterangs, and indeed do lots of swinging with the bat rope.

the thing i find most surprising about audio games and beat em ups, is that nobody has thought of this before.

While I can understand why the 2D dimention has been missed from platformers, ---- sinse afterall it's a bit of a stretch of thinking to imagine a character jumping that high unless you've seen the graphical games, sidestepping, moving in and out of range and the like are very well known tactics in boxing, wrestling and martial arts normally.

you don't just advance and retreat, you try to flank your opponent, come at them from a weaker side etc.

I also think this would be one of the easiest things to show in audio, sinse while for 2D platformers the vertical elements needs to be pretty major, for beat em ups there really doesn't need to be too much. Indeed, the old game dragon ninjas really did! have very litle vertical movement at all, literally only about three levels worth.

Applications like Klango have already shown some great ways of doing vertical spacing with volume, look at mole no more, and in a beat em up you wouldn't even need as many volume layers sinse everything would be from the characters' perspective anyway.

Yet, this is something we've not seen in audio thus far, which is a real shame.

i'd love to see a tactical beat em up, sinse I'm a big fan of that style of game.

i first played double dragon at the age of about 5, and stil! enjoy it ;D.

Beware the grue!