From: gamers-boun...@audyssey.org [mailto:gamers-boun...@audyssey.org] On
Behalf Of Jeremy Kaldobsky
Sent: Monday, August 01, 2011 9:02 AM
To: Gamers Discussion list
Subject: [Audyssey] High score list for developers

Ryan, your post yesterday gave me an idea that I wanted to run past you, and
really everyone for that matter.  It occurred to me that quite a few arcade
style games get posted, that don't support online high score lists.  In most
cases I'm sure this is due to lack of equipment or not knowing how to handle
the server side of things.  Since I've got the community supporting a server
for my games, I thought I could help solve those 2 barriers that have been
getting in the way.

I'm still figuring out how best to set this up, but here is the idea.  I
adjusted the software on my server to handle high score lists.  Developers
who have games will contact me and I'll send them an 11 digit password along
with a small 8kb file called hsa.exe.  In your game, written in python I
believe, you can simply run that file and pass it a command line argument
that contains the password, the person's score, and their player name.
Obviously your game would have to have its own way of getting the player's
name, but that's nothing difficult.  The little program contacts my server
and passes the information along, all in the background, with no one even
knowing what happened.  The server accepts the data if the password is
correct, and it does the work of putting them on your high score list based
on score.  When people view the webpage, they can easily see the rankings.

Here is the example I currently have running, for testing purposes.
http://www.kaldobsky.com/audiogames/highscores.htm
The webpage side of things probably needs to be made more accessible, but
please take a look.

Each different setting of your game, like grid size, number of blocks, and
so forth, would have its own password so that it would have its own high
score list.  The 2 lines at the top, the 1 line at the bottom, and the
number of people in the high score list can all be set using a separate
admin program that I would also give out to the developers.  The tiny
hsa.exe file would be sent along with your games, but the admin program
would be kept with you of course.

I'm just wondering if this type of idea would provide easy high score
tracking for our large group of developers that aren't already using high
score lists.  With this test high score list I've got running, I'm
encouraging people to play around with it and see how it works.  The hsa.exe
file can be downloaded here.
www.kaldobsky.com/audiogames/hsa.zip
Just put it into your game's directory, and execute it with the command
argument from within your game.  The password for this practice score list
is 398-093-129, so here are some specific examples of how you can submit
high scores.

If you had a player named Goblin, and he just ended a game with 45 points,
here is how you could submit that score from within a python game.
import os
os.system("hsa.exe 398-093-129,45,Goblin")

>From within a Visual basic 6 game.
x = shell("hsa.exe 398-093-129,45,Goblin",0)

Or even from a dos batch file.
hsa.exe 398-093-129,45,Goblin

Give it a try and please let me know if you guys think this is a good idea,
and if you think other developers would actually want to use it.