Sent: Friday, July 29, 2011 11:35 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Castaways kudos and questions

Che, you're quite welcome when it comes to Jaws support. Many of you know, I've been going crazy trying to get it working, for several games now! I ended up getting a program that worked with Jaws, then I did a text search for any included libraries until I found one that looked like it fit with Jaws. I then sat and tried function calls until I finally hit the right name! It was a lot like trying to sit and guess someone's password. I had a feeling it would be something along the lines of say, or speak, or message... so I just kept trying stuff until like 5 in the morning. Every so often, some guessed function name wouldn't error, but it also didn't seem to DO! anything. It was like getting a beep on a metal detector, only to find it is an old bottle cap. I felt like jumping up and down when I finally guessed the right one!

Any VB6 programmers who want to add Jaws support to their games, just let me know and I'll send you the, surprisingly short, source code for making it work. I'm also going to be sharing the source code I'm using for handling the translations, but I'm going to wait until I am positive it is in perfect working order first. I see no reason other people shouldn't benefit from this stuff as well.

I hadn't even thought about it until now, but shift plus T, now has 2 functions in the game. I had forgotten about jumping between columns using shift and a letter. Arg, I'm going to just take that completely out. As far as I know, people don't use it. Hmmm, maybe I should just change it to control instead, so that it will finally work without being messed up with the new commands I've been adding.

I like the job hotkey idea, I just haven't gotten around to adding it. I have a "to do" list that's climbed to like 10 pages long! I seriously need a few clones to help me split up this work. I've been trying to get the territory wars multiplayer mode up and running, and I'm also trying to get random maps into the next version. Jaws was really high up on my list, so I'm still super excited it finally can be crossed off.

Houses don't need to be close to anything. Once you get past the building time, they can be out in the middle of nowhere and it won't hurt anything.

Lumber jacks will thin the forests down until they are only scattered trees, at which point they are useless. Hunters can also only hunt in forests or dense forests, so that is why they become less efficient as you develop and clear out the trees. Stone masons will thin out stone until it reaches rocky soil. Perhaps I should mention that rocky soil, and scattered trees, can both get 1 or 2 more uses before they are truly useless, but I didn't want to make this more confusing than it had to be. Miners and stone masons can't use the stone once it is reduced to rocky soil. The benefit to building these near dense forests and rocky terrain is that they have higher resources in them, and will last longer before they are used up.

Buildings are usually built in the order that you place them, but there are several things that can affect this. In the end, it is extremely difficult to really predict which will be built first. Even with knowledge of how the code works, I wouldn't try to predict it, lol.

There is currently no limit to how many people can work at any building, with the exception of farmers. The only reason farmers are limited, is because the farm must grow its crop, so even if you had 50 farmers to a single farm, they must wait for the crop to grow again.

And finally, yes. Well kinda, I don't want to give away future mission ideas before their time comes. Muhahaha.

Yay Jeremy for including Jaws
support! For me, this makes the difference in trying
mission 2 and feeling like its not worth the aggrivation to
deal with SAPi's crappy output, thank you sir.
I know your doing a lot of stuff now with the game,
not to mention your paying real job, but I just want to
remind you of the idea of a hotkey to bring up a list of
jobs to switch a character to, so you can just hit one
letter for the job, like maybe hit control j after selecting
a character, then c to switch to carpenter, then c again for
cook. instead of hitting a or s over and over.
This would go a long way in minimizing keystrokes,
and the folks out there working on their carpel tunnel
syndrome would seriously appreciate it.
A few questions for anyone out there that knows:
1. Does it matter where you build the houses after they are
built? Like do folks occasionally go there to chill out or
anything? I know the further away they are, the longer it
takes to get materials to build them and all, but if i can
place them anywhere, i'd prefer to save the land close to
storehouses for other buildings.
2. What terrain can quarrys mine bricks from, and is it
more efficient to have them near more dense deposits of
rocks, or is it just a matter of having them near any rocks
at all? ditto for saw mills.
3. is there an order buildings are built? is it from the
storehouse out, or chronological? i thought i knew the
answer to this, but seems my last try, things didn't get
built as I had predicted.
4. when i check how hungry my peeps are with shift
t, it is jumping to the t column. is there a way around
this, or is this just an issue with the interface? same for
shift any other letter, such as d and f for checking
buildings.
5. is there a limit on how many carpenters can work a saw
mill at one time? and if so, will 2 carpenters automatically
stick with one saw mill if i have 2 saw mills? in other
words, do they recognize that a saw mill is already being
used and go to the other, or do they queue up? Ditto for
quarries.
 I know I could experiment and find out, but i figured
others might know right off the bat.
6. Can we hunt down and have a stake burning for the folks
that took off in the ship? Cause if I ever get my hands on
them...
Hehehe.
 Excellent stuff again man, best game I've picked up since
TOC for my taste in audio games.
Thanks
che

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5969 (20110320) __________