Hi jeremy,
I understand why there is a blank space when hitting tab, perhaps I shouldn't have put two issues in the same message. the bug I wanted to report was that once you have changed the speech mode, even when jaws support is active, the actual title of the application window says window eyes support, rather than castaways. interestingly, this is only an issue when you first change the speech output method, if you exit and reload castaways the title is back to normal.
so it looks as if the problem is only when the change first takes place.
also, what did you think of my idea to add an option to hide mission intro messages? as you didn't comment on that from my other message.