Actually Alex, there is a reason it works that way.  Depending on your
Castaways screen reader settings, it seems that first press of Tab is switching
you to window eyes mode.  If you don't HAVE! window eyes running, you can't
hear it read off the message "Window eyes".  But with another press of tab you
do hear "Jaws support" probably because you are running Jaws.  When the mode is
changing, it is then using that particular method to output the message and
some screen readers are different enough that they won't even attempt to read
the message.  Pressing Tab from the perspective of a Window eyes user might
have a blank space when they reach the Jaws mode, since the message "Jaws
support" would be being outputted using the Jaws methods and now Window eyes.
Hopefully that makes some sense.