Hi all.

Yes I am still around, just have not had much time to read the stuff on here
lately.  As most of you know my mainstream gaming experience though fairly
extensive is pretty much limited to consoles.  The only things I will mention
here are that, unless you have sighted help around pretty consistently, there
are indeed going to be many of the newer mainstream titles that you will not be
able to play very well.  In general these are games where you as the main
character have to do a lot of exploring, finding items, solving visual puzzles,
etc.  These kinds of obstacles will unfortunately eliminate many of the big
roleplaying and strategy titles that a lot of your sighted friends are playing
unless you happen to have friends who are willing to sit there and help you
play the games which is not real common.  There are exceptions to this of
course.  For instance I enjoy playing around with the PS3 title "Heavenly
Sword" because of the really amazing sounds and ambience that are in the game,
plus the fact that although you cannot complete it by yourself, it is possible
to get pretty far in the game by trial and error.

Having said this, I should point out that with a lot of patience and trial and
error, we can learn to enjoy many mainstream titles.  The game categories that
I've known blind people to have the most success with and have had success
myself are: fighting games such as the Tekken series, the Mortal Kombat series,
and other similar games.  Next are sports games such as baseball, football,
boxing, wrestling etc.  I should point out that I'm not really into sports
myself and so have not devoted the needed time and effort to learning any of
these.  Lastly are the rhythm games like the Rockband and Guitar Hero series
and similar games.

With all these available for most consoles and to some degree for pc's as well,
there is no reason why someone who is blind should not investigate mainstream
gaming provided you have some patience and a willingness to spend some time
working with them.  I could be much better than I am at the mainstream games I
have if I was willing and able to put more time into them but that just isn't
the case for now.  Nonetheless I enjoy my mainstream titles at least as much as
my accessible ones and in fact tend to play them more often.

Game on.

Tom