well one major thing with mainstreamers is that they need loads of guts.
Since us blindies don't really need large 500mb up external video cards, sound cards and big processers and enough memmory to control the borg well ok, maybe the sound cards, processers and memmory is probably something we may need, but not the graphics cards.
And we only need what is needed to run our stuff.
I can seeme for esxample buying another duelcore old beast from ebay or an old system with a lagit or otherwise pirated xp on it because its all I will ever need unless I get given the cash to get a propper version of windows and office or have to upgrade readers again or something. So its safe to say we run with what is stock in the system bar ram maybe at least most general people that are not total geeks do.
And some of our stuff is old because we don't have funding or need.
There is no reason to play mainstreamers at least we can't because of just the way we are. We are blind, and the power we would need, besides we don't usually need all that much.
SOme friends like lego starwars can be played with friends, though, lets see.
I really havn't played my games that much latesly.
I have silent steel and teraformas which are bad examples, but I have not as yet stretched the power of my laptop and its as old as now at least 6 years.
I aggree I have stretched and killed the power on previous systems but not now.
Do I think we will ever reach mainstreamhood.
Its possible.
We can for a reasonable sum get the cpu, drives and memmory we would need.
ANd yes for those of us inclined for audio the soundcard and other things.
ANd yes the gamepads mice and joysticks and other devices maybe.
But the external video cards are something we may never get, there is no point.
Ofcause excluding shared systems, which others use and even then the crappy internal card will go with our screenreaders and well. Then there are driver updates and the fact some external cards can cause trouble. And then its a quick dirty reformat and pulling that card, and stuffing it in a cupboard and forgetting about it. For consoles we may have better success but for only those interested in such things.
Will we really hit mainstreamers?
Well if one day we can afford all the hardware then maybe.
But who knows.