Alex, your proposed wall configuration would definitely protect the survivor
camp.

Try not to think about the direction the walls face, since they really don't
work like that.  They completely protect the tile they are on, making it
impassable for enemies.  Stones, trees, and water are also completely
impassable so walls can be used to compliment them.  If your base has a long
stretch of forest to its left, that is exactly the same as if each of those
tiles were a wall instead of trees.  In both situations, enemies are forced to
walk around rather than traveling through to attack your buildings.  I hope
this helps, and I know that the way walls work has been confusing for a lot of
people.