The steering actually requires aiming to be turned on in the version everyone
is using.  It works very similar to how aiming works, except your entire body
turns instead of just your weapon.  You can center and shoot zombies in exactly
the same way, but when steering you can also smoothly navigate.  Here's an
example that you couldn't do without steering.  If you wanted to go around some
water without going through it, you may have noticed that the ground around the
water has a different sound as you step on it.  You may have also noticed that
each foot actually does step on either side of you instead of just being a
repeating sound effect.  You can walk to the mud, turn, and walk with just your
left foot on the mud and the right foot on the grass.  As soon as either foot
changes you will know that you need to move closer or farther from the water,
and with steering on you can just smoothly adjust your walking angle until you
are back on track with each
 foot being different terrain.  No matter how complicated and wavy the water
is, you could easily use steering to match the shape.  I don't really know why
you'd WANT to walk like the example, but it illustrates smooth steering versus
clunky keyboard rotation.