Hi Dark,

Yeah, I've noticed that as well. I still had to install .Net 1.1 in
order to get some games like Rail Racer to run on Windows 7 even
though Windows 7 comes with .Net 4.0 out of the box. The reason for
that is do to the fact Microsoft made a lot of changes in the .Net
Framework between 1.1 and 2.0, and later versions like 3.0, 3.5, and
4.0 built on the existing 2.0 framework. As a result anything 2.0 and
later is pretty forward compatible, but older .Net 1.0 and 1.1 apps
should be upgraded. Anyway, yeah, some older apps still need .Net 1.1
to be specifically installed to work.

As for DirectX most people assume that DirectX 10 is a full upgrade of
DirectX but it isn't. The people who say they have DirectX 10 is
knowingly or unknowingly saying they installed the DirectX 10 Direct3D
graphics components, but DirectSound, DirectPlay,
DirectInput,DirectMusic, etc haven't been upgraded in years. They are
being phased out and slowly replaced by alternative components which
ships with DirectX 11 on Windows 7.

As I mentioned in my prior post DirectX 11 contains DirectX Direct3D
11 for 3d graphics, XAudio and XAudio2 for 2d/3d audioplayback, XInput
for joystick support, X3DAudio for 3d audio positioning, and hopefully
Microsoft will come out with a new network manager to replace
DirectPlay as it is ancient and isn't even supported any more.

Cheers!