I'm liking that idea but I do have a few concerns.  The scatter shot and even
the beeping scope will be tricky to code.  I'm not sure if you saw it, but at
some point I wrote a long thing about the differences between simulated and
true 2D game worlds.  In a simulated it is very easy to do that kind of thing,
but in true it is not.  My game runs in a true 2D world, which carries with it
a bunch of benefits over simulated, sadly the "on target" limitations are among
the few draw backs.

Also I liked the posted idea to have a sniper rifle and an M60 machine gun
which both use 7.62 ammo.  As you know, I like the idea that each ammo is used
by at least 2 weapons, so this seems like a good match up.  If we just slap a
scope on to the hunting rifle, it would be abandoning this idea.  Arg, I can't
decide.  I like the hunting rifle scope idea too though!

Burst mode is excellent, and I'm sure you realize I'd be requiring the sounds
from you on that.  :D