Hi Jim,

Well, the processor speed of your computers is fast enough to run Win
7, but you don't have enough memory on either one. Windows 7 requires
a bare minimum of 1GB of ram for the operating system and at least 2
GB or more if you want to run Microsoft Office, Jaws, Internet
Explorer, etc.

Anyway, NVDA comes with a free synth called ESpeak. Like you said it
sounds robotic, reminds me of one of the older hardware synths, but
there are other options. I myself use Sapi 5 voices like AT&T Crystal,
AT&T Mike, or the Cepstral voices since they are much more human
sounding than ESpeak.