Hi Chris,

You don't necessarily have to read all 1,000 messages on a thread just
to get to the newest message/post. If you want to quickly get to the
bottom of a thread you can either use the h key to jump to headings,
or you can use control+end to get to the bottom of the page and use
shift+h to get to the top of the last post on a particular thread.
That's what I do and I can usually find the newest posts just by
working backwards rather than reading from the top down.

HTH