From: gamers-boun...@audyssey.org [mailto:gamers-boun...@audyssey.org] On
Behalf Of Thomas Ward
Sent: Thursday, December 29, 2011 10:20 AM
To: Gamers Discussion list
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] BGT competition - any interest?

Hi John,

Well, the nice thing about BGT is that it is designed for beginners,
aspiring programmers, and you can learn quite a lot from reading the
tutorials and sample games.

I know I'm not exactly a new programmer but I've been going through
the basic language tutorial and I can say it is pretty basic stuff.
You'll learn how to create very basic BGT scripts on your first day.

void main ()
{
    int age = 33;
    string msg = "Hi, my name is Tom and I am " + age + " years old.";
    alert ("My Age", msg);
}

Basically, what this script does is create the main function, declares
two variables, and displays a message box to the screen with the
message "Hi, my name is Tom and I'm 33 years old." If you begin
writing simple scripts like this every day for practice, begin
gradually building more complex scripts, the next thing you know
you've got the skills to build the next Super Mario or Legend of
Zelda. It won't happen over night, maybe not in a month, but if you
have an interest in trying it I'd say go for it. There are litterally
courses to learn C++, VB, Java, etc in 21 days and I think if you
stick with it you certainly could learn BGT in a similar length of
time. At least the basics if not all of the nuts and bolts.