what about keep the email up there but just have an internal program do the calculations and put them in an html file or php with the results you can upload.

At 06:31 p.m. 14/05/2012 +0200, you wrote:
Hi Quentin,

I actually thought about a PHP solution, but came to the same conclusion as you regarding cheating. I didn't want to spend the time coming up with a PHP script that made cheating hard but still convenient to actually vote. So I decided to do it by email. I might look at other alternatives for the next competition though as you suggest.

As for Jim's statistics posts, I haven't actually read those - believe it or not. Smile. Numbers scare me. But seriously, I'll think it through for the next one and try to come up with a method that works for everyone.

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall
----- Original Message ----- From: "QuentinC" <quent...@cfardel.net>
To: <phi...@blastbay.com>; "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Monday, May 14, 2012 6:08 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Exact figures of the competition?

I can see your point, but my problem is that I don't really have
enough time to assemble a detailed diagram of all these statistics. What
I will do, however,
is for the next competition make it so that the votes go into a database
where I can easily retrieve all of this information. As I have it now,
since I
received the votes by email, it'd take a long time to get it as detailed
as that. It's something I'll think about next time though, for sure. I
just didn't
imagine that people would be interested in this, so I didn't plan for
that eventuality. I thought that an announcement of the ranks would be
enough. I
intend running another similar competition (probably with the same
criteria) either later this year or early in 2013, and then I'll take
this into consideration
from the start.

OK, don't worry then. Don't waste hours to do that if you can't fetch
again data easily. I know that it's very boring to do.

Small suggestion for the next time: you could make a vote page
containing a web form and little php coding, so that all results go
automatically stored into a database, and so that you can get the
results in a few seconds.
Of course the disadvantage of this solution is, cheating is much easier...

I'm a little surprised that you simply didn't think about that. People
generally like numbers and statistics, and whould like to know how
things are calculated and what were intermediate results. A simple way
to see that people like numbers: Jim's monthly posting report.