From: gamers-boun...@audyssey.org [mailto:gamers-boun...@audyssey.org] On
Behalf Of Thomas Ward
Sent: 21 June 2012 21:01
To: Gamers Discussion list
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Redistributing RPG Source Books

Hi Paul,

That wouldn't work for a number of reasons.

First, I'm not a Jaws user, and haven't been for years. Not since
switching to Linux full time at any rate. My Jaws SMA ran out a long
time ago, and I have absolutely no desire to renew it. These days I
primarily use NVDA when I use Windows, and it serves most of my needs.
So for me paying for a new Jaws upgrade and SMA just for the OCR
feature wouldn't be cost effective since that would be the one and
only thing I'd be buying Jaws for. That defeats the entire reason I
switched to open source software which was to save money.

Second, the feature you are talking about isn't the same as scanning a
book with an OCR program like Openbook. The OCR feature in Jaws 13
takes a screen shot of the screen you are on, takes that image, runs
it through a little OCR program, and stores it in a virtual buffer.
Once it is done processing the screen you can review the screen with
the Jaws cursor. I don't know if a person can copy the text to the
clipboard or to Notepad or not, but I don't see it being very
effective in terms of reading sourcebooks.

The problem here is that roll playing game sourcebooks are like any
other reference guide. Its not the kind of book you pick up and begin
reading from page 1 to page 365 like a novel. A gamemaster has to be
able to look at the table of contents to find the certain rules,
stats, classes, whatever he is looking for and then immediately turn
to that page or chapter. That's kind of hard to do if Jaws won't read
a thing until each page has to be scanned and processed every time you
open the book and look for something.

At least if I scan a book using Openbook, Omnipage, Simple Scan, or
some other OCR program I can save it as a text document. I can then
open it in a text editor and use the find command to jump directly to
the section or sections I'm looking for without having to have Jaws
sscan a page, see if that is what I want, jump a few more screens into
the pdf, scan another page, etc. That's like totally unproductive.

Finally, when Jaws takes a screen shot of the screen and runs it
through its little OCR program it doesn't do any kind of proofreading
on the scan. In other words its just a flat scan meant to give a user
an idea of what is on the screen. It was not intended to read books
and therefore I figure a lot of the terminology and names in the Star
Wars books wouldn't be recognized properly and there would be no way
to spell check and proofread the mistakes made by the Jaws OCR program
without copying it into Notepad or something and editing them by hand.
Which of course brings us right back to scanning it into Openbook,
Omnipage, Simple Scan OCR, or whatever and manually cleaning up the
text anyway.

I hope this doesn't sound rude, but I think it is just a bad idea all
around. It just wouldn't work out for me for several reasons. :D

Cheers!