I@m also very happy to voice act for you, as I have time on my hands and my
mic quality has improved lol.

-----Original Message-----
From: gamers-boun...@audyssey.org [mailto:gamers-boun...@audyssey.org] On
Behalf Of Grey Matter Info
Sent: 19 September 2012 01:08
To: 'Gamers Discussion list'
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] What the sparcle?

Hi Dark,
There are a lot of games--though none in the AG community--that have done a
better job of incorporating RPG and side scroller than I plan to. While I
plan to have stats at some point, I hadn't planned on a fully-fledged
experience system and the like. As I said, though, that's further down on
the list of things to do, however it pans out.
I completely agree with you about having a single-player option, and I plan
to have that in the game. However, the mechanics of single player versus
multi-player overlap quite a lot, and it will be easier for me to design the
full system and just make single player a component of that.
For example, you could make a single player walk very easily. If the player
presses right arrow, make him walk to the right. This is just fine in a
single player game because it doesn't send data to the server. For a
multiplayer game, though, you would want something a bit different. In that
instance, you would create a false player for each of the other people
playing the game, and have those false players act on a more perfunctory set
of commands. Instead of saying player 2 took a step, player 2 took another
step, player 2 took a third step, you would say player 2 started moving, and
when he stopped, send a command that said player 2 stopped moving.
If I build the player so that he acts like he's a multiplayer from the
beginning, I won't have to rebuild him when I actually get to the
multiplayer portion of the game. All of that will be done already. It's much
easier to convert from multiplayer to single player than it is to go from
single player to multiplayer.
With regard to attack mechanics, I don't want to give too much away, but
suffice it to say that there will be actual attacks that you can block,
duck, jump over, etc. I want enemies to have a lot more personality than
they thus far have in audio games. Think about the robots in MegaMan X that
threw their shield at you, then reeled it back in with a chain. In audio,
you might represent that with a traveling whoosh, followed by the sound of
the shield scraping back toward them across the ground. Though that
particular example will likely not be in the game, there will be things with
that and greater levels of complexity.
The original game calls for sword strokes, arrows, and various magic spells.
The sword itself has a number of attacks at its disposal, and I intend to
update those for the side scrolling genre. Other than that, I don't know
yet.
I'm not sure what you're asking about in terms of architecture. Aside from
run, jump, climb, fall, fight, what are you wondering?
Thanks for the offer of voice acting. I may take you up on that when I
switch from placeholder to the real thing.
Best,
Ryan