Hi Thomas.

I don't play mud's though I should as I love text adventures, however VIP MUD from GMA is an excellent client so I'm given to understand, so Kirsten, you could try that and see how you get on. You can get it from GMA Games website at www.gmagames.com and at least it will let you play freely on Valhalla, so you can try it out and see if it is right for you.

All the best, Ibrahim.

-----Original Message----- From: Thomas Ward
Sent: Friday, October 26, 2012 1:06 AM
To: Gamers Discussion list
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] An intro and a question

Hi Kirstan,

That's because the developer of the mud clients has failed to update
the mud client to meet current design standards. Its not the fault of
Microsoft but the client's developer.

For example, every operating system since Windows 2000 is suppose to
store settings and and other personal data in the user's local app
data folder. On XP the files for Mush should go in
c:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Application Data\Mush 4.84
and on Windows 7 they should go in
c:\Users\User Name\App Data\Roming\Mush 4.84
which is  usually pretty easy to obtain through the Windows API.
However, many developers continues saving personal files to
c:\Program Files
even when Microsoft consistently told developers to abandon the
practice and use the user's local App Data folder instead for personal
files and data.

Anyway, as of Windows Vista Microsoft added a new security service,
User Account Control, which was an attempt to give Windows Vista,
Windows 7, and Windows 8 similar security found on Mac OS and Linux by
blocking read/write access to system directories etc which could be
infected by malware like viruses and worms. Problem is Microsoft has
added the security Windows needs to help keep the OS safe from
malware, but many developers have not upgraded their software to be
User Account Control compliant for one reason or another. So we the
users have to make a choice to either disable the new security
service, or find a workaround for the problem. That's why you can't
just install a client like Mush and run it on Windows 7. Its because
the developer/developers havn't taken the time to fix their programs
to run properly on Windows 7.

As for gmud I have never tried that one. Its worth a try though. The
only way to know if it works is to try it. You know what they say,
"nothing ventured nothing gained."

Cheers!