I totally agree with what you're saying here Dark. A lot of
unchannelled potential is going to waste for poor Tom. Thankfully,
I've had enough experience with other aspects of life and my own
creative tendency to wander to have more sympathy for what Tom's gone
through than impatience for the game I've waited years for. I'd far
rather have it take another decade and have it be the best game it can
be than have Tom rush to just get it done and off his back. That's why
I'm so incredibly careful not to impose any expectations or deadlines
on my own projects. Even after I finish Enchantment's Twilight, it'll
be a very long time in testing before I release it as a hopefully
bug-free finished product.

Books are where I tend to tread familiar ground the most. I often
re-read old favorites whose characters and stories have become almost
like comfortable companions for me. For me to replay games, the game
play itself must in some way make this a worth-while experience. There
are a great many ways of doing this from items which don't always
appear to changed locations of things to secrets which might not be
discovered the first time through. It does take a real effort to add
this quality into a larger game. I look for opportunities such as
greed and risk versus reward to have a game that really stands the
test of time well.

On 3/22/13, dark <d...@xgam.org> wrote:
> Hi Michael.
>
> On the replayability angle, I often find that games are replayable from the
>
> perspective of reexperiencing the atmosphere or story, or just trying to
> best the tough challenges another time. It is this that has made me replay
> shades of doom and Sarah. By the same tocan, i've replayed games like super
>
> Metroid and Mega man x 1 more times than I can count, just because the
> gameplay, design and structure, not to mention atmosphere and music are so
> perfectly designed. There are several audio games that I view in this same
> catagory, particularly Gma's offerings. So though I do completely agree
> random elements are great in games for keeping you on your toes, which is
> why games like smugglers and kerkerkruip are so awsome, they're not a
> necessity if design etc works out well. heck, this even goes for arcade
> games and is the reason i've replayed Q9 and the pinball games despite them
>
> being symple arcade titles.
>
> whether mota will fall into this catagory I am waiting to see, though i've
> been impressed enough with what we've seen thus far to think that tom's
> ability to not just code games but design them is up to the task, ---- which
>
> is another reason I would so much appreciate seeing him produce an honest to
>
> goodness finished project, bet that the wrestling game, Arc of hope, an
> acessible castlevania type side scroller, a mission based startrek game or a
>
> vampire text rpg, heck I'd even! like to see raceway despite racing games
> not being a favourite genre of mine.
>
> Concepts are great, and what we've sene of Tom's design has been great, I
> just sometimes feel a little frustrated that with all these ideas we haven't
>
> yet seen anything that has gone past a couple of playable levels.
>
> I am quite aware that this isn't always Tom's fault, and have followed all
> the community debates and opinions (some not so flattering) that have been
> voiced. I am also aware of other commitments, but at the same time I do feel
>
> a little like usa games is the tantalus of the accessible games markit and
> just as we all reach for that big bunch of juicy grapes they get yanked away
>
> again for one reason or another.
>
> This isn't intended as an insult, just a statement of feelings and a
> continuation about the debate over game design, since I do genuinely believe
>
> Tom has the ability to design a real block buster, which is also why I would
>
> so much like to see a complete, ---- or at least completely released game.
>
> Beware the Grue!
>
> Dark.

Michael Feir
Volunteer at The Dam
http://www.thedam.org
2011--
Twitter: mfeir
Skype: michael-feir
Author of Personal Power:
How Accessible Computers Can Enhance Personal Life For Blind People
2006-2008
http://michaelfeir.blogspot.com/2009/01/personal-power.html

A Life of Word and Sound
2003-2007
http://michaelfeir.blogspot.com/2009/01/life-of-word-and-sound.html

Creator and former editor of Audyssey Magazine 1996-2004
Check out my blog at:
http://www.michaelfeir.blogspot.com