On Apr 11, 2011, at 10:24 PM, Jesse Becker wrote:

> I think that we should punt authentication to other systems/modules
> that are dedicated to doing so.

Yes, I agree that's a good solution.  Dumping the ganglia-specific
private_clusters database in favor of authentication provided by Apache is a
good idea, and shouldn't be hard to do.  We still need some sort of
authorization mechanism though, mapping users->privileges or (as you suggest)
groups->privileges.

> If a user wants to store custom views and such, push it into a cookie,
> and store it on the browser side.  Under *NO* circumstances should we
> allow a user to write data to the server through Ganglia.

I don't agree.  Restricting to cookie-based storage means views can't be shared
easily, and will be lost when you clear cookies.  I think it's possible to
safely allow web-based configuration of views, though I agree it's non-trivial.
 If it's filesystem access which is the red flag, maybe we look at something
like sqlite (which is available by default in PHP5), and/or move the conf/
directory outside of the web root.

I think it makes sense to ship the UI with a restrictive default access policy
for people who don't want to allow web-based configuration.  But we should
implement code to make web-based config possible for those who do.

I put together some idea-code for this last night, but it's all based on
keeping a text file of users & password like private_clusters.  I'll need to
take another pass at it to push all authentication back to Apache.  (I agree
that should be done.)
https://github.com/alexdean/ganglia-misc/blob/add-acl/ganglia-web/auth.php

alex