On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 14:52, Daniel Pocock <dan...@pocock.com.au> wrote:

> On 20/03/12 19:27, Bernard Li wrote:
>> I don't really want to make a big deal out of this but I thought it
>> was long agreed that we would tag a release (eg. 3.3.2) and that would
>> potentially be our "Release Candidate".  If everything is fine, we
>> will just release as is otherwise we will discard 3.3.2, bump the
>> version to 3.3.3 and repeat the cycle.
>>

> I remember that discussion too, and I think was pushing that same
> argument - that it is easier to burn release numbers than to worry about
> suffixes

I agree.  So long as the numbers only increase, the minor release
number is basically irrelevant.

> That discussion was held in the days of SVN, when making a tag was quite
> painful
>
> Now we have git,
> - people can make local tags (almost like bookmarks?) whenever they like
> - you can make two tags on a single commit, because tags are like
> symlinks (e.g. 3.3.3rc1 and 3.3.3 both point to the same commit)
>
> This comes back to my earlier comments: the tags I have made today (e.g.
> 3.3.3dp1) are not intended for packaging, it is just a helpful reminder
> for me to know how I built the tarball for people to test.  I think it
> is a useful phase in the release process.
>
> Once we get to the point where people want to test proper versioned
> RPMs, then we use a real tag (e.g. 3.3.3) and if the RPMs are proved to
> be dodgy after that tag is made, then we burn the version number and try
> 3.3.4

Now, with RPM releases, it may not be that bad.  RPMs inherently
support a "release" (in the RPM lingo), which is the least significant
digit in the complete version number.  If we have a ganglia release of
"X.Y.Z", the RPM release could go through several changes with it's
own release number.  The first RPM-release for a new upstream is "1",
and each change increments.  So the first official binary release
would be something like "X.Y.Z.-1", then -2, -3, etc.  When Ganglia
X.Y.(Z+1) is released, the RPM starts over:  X.Y.(Z+1)-1  (and not,
say, "X.Y.(Z+1)-4")

If we do make a policy of tagging pre-releases for testing, i suggest
that the tag include something obvious, such as a "pre1" sort of
suffix.

--
Jesse Becker