Jerry:

You are obviously a nicer person than I am (that isn't hard, I can hear my wife
say).

I agree with you on Bowden losing his mental capabilities since back in the
'90s.  I think that is indisputable.

Regarding his character, we have witnessed so many low, dirty actions ourselves
over many years.  My initial opinion of Bowden was that he had been an honest
coach until a six-year losing streak to us (1981 - 1986) drove him to the dark
side.

However, back in the early '90s I met a man who had been a sportswriter and
editor before making a career change.  When we first started talking about
college football, without any prompting from me, he explained that he had
covered West Virginia football back when Bowden was their coach, and launched
into a scathing attack on Bowden, telling me that the guy had taken players
from the local prison, and would do anything, no matter how underhanded, to win.

I was shocked to hear this about Bowden, since at the time I also thought he
was a good guy and a good coach.  But since then, we've seen all the behavior
this former sports writer told me he had witnessed at West Virginia.

Anyway, I do believe Bowden was a win-at-all-costs guy, and if he didn't
explicitly endorse some of the tactics of his program, he at least turned a
blind eye to them.

Go Gators!!!!

Ken B. (NYC Gator)