Dear All,

The producers of the film "My brother Nikhil" had a private screening of their film in Dimple theatre, mumbai, this evening. I had the chance of viewing the film and here is my review ( or is it preview ?) of the film ( for whatever it is worth )

The film has been bought by Yashraj Films for distribution and will be in the cinema halls soon.

My brother Nikhil – A Brave Effort

If “Phir Milenge” was the beginning, with “My Brother Nikhil” Indian cinema has finally arrived as an industy that has matured, grown up and is capable of handling sensitive and taboo subjects and give them a rare dignity.

Phir Milenge was the story of Tamanna Sawhney who tests HIV positive and My brother Nikhil is the story of Anupama’s (Juhi Chawla) brother Nikhil who is HIV positive. The similarity between the two films end there.

My brother Nikhil is an effort to bring to light taboo issues that our society refuses to address. A major chunk of the story is set in 1980’s when no one spoke about HIV but anybody who  tested HIV positive had AIDS ! The films made in hindi language talks about growing up gay in Goa, about not being able to come out to family or friends, about struggling to avoid marriage with a woman for Nikhil is gay and in love with another man, about  discrimination faced from the society when his HIV status is leaked out , about ancient discriminatory laws that quarantine Nikhil to a sanatorium for three months, about the struggle to get him out and how in the process people close to Nikhil start working for the cause of HIV  positive people. The most amazing part of the script is that the director brings out all these issues without even having use the word “gay “ or “activist” which is major triumph for a debutant director.

What lends credence to the film are performances from its entire cast. Victor Banerjee as Nikhil’s father, a man who is hell bent upon making a “MAN” out of his son, an absolute no nonsense person who eventually breaks down before a submissive wife scores high honours for coming across as a dad whom Nikhil loved and was his role model and no one would disagree with it. Lillette Dubey as Nikhil’s mother is in full form once again and though one wondered why she never took a stand despite being a submissive wife comes out with a performances that she will be proud of. Gautam Kapoor plays Sam,Anupama’s fiancée and looks a little ill at ease playing the usual understanding lover. His is one character that gives you the feeling that the scriptwriter took for granted. A special mention should be made about Shweta Kwatra  as lawyer Anjali who fights for Nikhil and his rights to live like any other normal human being.

My brother Nikhil is a major triumph for three actors. Purab Kohli as Nigel playing Nikhil’s lover has worked extremely hard on his character giving it the right mix of a gay man who is androgynous and comfortable with his sexuality and is fighting for his right place in his lover’s life and as an actor has been successful in his effort. Juhi Chawla  as Anupama playing Nikhil’s sister and soul mate delivers a knock out performance and lightens up the screen by her sheer presence.  Eventually “My brother Nikhil” is a showcase of talent for  Sanjay Suri who plays Nikhil, a man who is not comfortable  with his sexuality but not willing to give up his relationship with Nigel, an ordinary man who is charming, witty, affable, irritable , angry, sad, grief stricken about his HIV status but continues to fight and live life and Sanjay does all of it with such rare ease and comfort like he was not an actor but “Nikhil” himself and he is one of biggest scoring points of the film.

The film has one song sung in various situations by Shaan, KK  and Sunidhi and adds to the mood but the film eventually belongs to debutant director “Onir” for showing courage in taking up a subject and not compromising on it. The film presented through various characters who were closely associated with Nikhil represent the view point of a director who has arrived with his very first film.

The film is due for commercial release in another month or two and not to be missed.

with best wishes to the entire team of "My brother Nikhil"

Vivek

NEW CLASSIFIEDS SECTION
SEEKING FRIENDS? VISIT
www.gaybombay.info
click on classified section and type your message in the post section once the link opens

This message was posted to the gay_bombay Yahoo! Group. Responses to messages (by clicking "Reply") will also be posted on the eGroup and sent to all members. If you'd like to respond privately to the author of any message then please compose and send a new email message to the author's email address.

For Parties and events go to: http://calendar.yahoo.com/YYY,04497/srt,0/gaybombaygroup/?v=42&POS=
Post:-  gay_bombay@yahoogroups.com
Contact Us:-  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Archives are at http://www.mail-archive.com/gay_bombay%40yahoogroups.com/maillist.html