Hello all,

I apology for the long mail...

Is this draft we are voting now the really really final or there can
be still some time for discussion?

I ask because I'm in strong doubt if to vote YES because it can be a
start to build something that will work together with the Community,
or to ABSTAIN, like my deep feelings suggest, bot to avoid a conflict
of interest from my side, but especially because I still think those
rules are not completely fair.

I will explain this better in my vote if needed, however, I think we
should have some small discussion now if this is possible.

The GB is a wonderful idea. I believe is an entity that is definitely
needed and welcomed, and I'm very happy with the efforts Oracle and
especially you, Mark, are putting into it.

However, I still feel something is not completely in the right place.
Don't get me wrong, please. I often criticised Oracle for not doing
well (in my opinion of course), but I was also always was the first to
applaud when things worked in the right direction, acknowledging that
Oracle, no matter how different the point of views are, is always
sitting next to us in the same room discussing the rules of the game.

All my consideration, of course, are from the point of view of the
Community, and I appreciate the efforts (and the wonderful progress
done).

I honestly feel that Oracle, and I want to say it here again, has all
the rights to control OpenJDK; I also completely trust Oracle in his
role as Steward for the OpenJDK project. Beside, my point of view with
disputes like the JCP (and TKC access) are well known.

Said that, there are still things we need to improve, because those
rights nobody can deny to Oracle, are also really big
responsibilities. The way the GB is right now, it simply states (or it
sounds like that) that Oracle has all the rights and that those are
not shared with the community, not in a fair way, at least.

I'm not as much convinced like Mark (Wielaard) that Oracle should
behave in a completely agnostic way toward the patents and the rights
on the code that it has. Indeed, Oracle is investing so much efforts
and engineering time on this, when it could as easily just kill the
project and not care. Probably nobody would be able to develop
OpenJDK, probably not.  Realistically, though, and I may be wrong on
this point of course, but is clear to me that this is a scenario
nobody wants, and with reasons.

But I still feel there are some problems with the current GB rules
that should be addressed, because otherwise the risk is that we will
have an OpenJDK project were contribution from external developers
will always be difficult or next to impossible (and I speak like the
guy that did several of those contributions, but all the time waiting
from 4 to 6 months before a simple patch to be accepted, let alone
part of Cacio that went in after a couple of years. Yeah, I have
patience, but this is too much a difficult process, and the GB needs
to address this as well).

I summarize the points Mark highlighted many times, and that this GB
does not address in my opinion:

* Oracle has an explicit right to do anything by demanding every
contributor sign all rights to them.
* There are no rules to add anything to the code base to which Oracle
doesn't get all rights, except if Oracle does it (see the recent xml
code drops for example, while keeping out stuff like rhino and
icedtea-web)
* Oracle has a veto on everything through their appointment of the JDK
project technical lead (we all love Mark Reinhold, and we trust, and
he has always demonstrated, that he will try to do the right thing,
but what if his role changes at some point?)

The ringing bell, although it was probably and honest communication
mistake, like I already said on this same list in a different thread,
is the new jdk7 forests.

How fully in accordance with these rules a new project was accepted
for jdk7 updates?

Now this project might or might not be actually a good idea. The fact
that we had this project accepted without public discussion, when all
we got was some vague proposal from Oracle (bad Dalibor!!!) without
any real discussion, and then a quick "hurray! we approved it under 24
hours". Those things should not happen.

The Community has safe alternatives, of course: OpenJDK for everything
official, and IcedTea for the real work. Do we want this? My feeling
is that the rules of the current GB will not change this situation, so
voting YES will just be a way to normalise a situation that is not
really nice, where we will end up condoning what was a perhaps needed,
but definitely imposed, new board with new rules, and at the end of
the day, claim that those rules are fair because the Community
supports them.

Just to be clear once more, I do believe Oracle has all the rights to
do this, IcedTea and the GPL will always offer an alternative. My
question, and doubt, is if this is indeed the only possible way to
solve this situation, and if there is really no common ground for
discussion.

Cheers,
Mario

--
pgp key: http://subkeys.pgp.net/ PGP Key ID: 80F240CF
Fingerprint: BA39 9666 94EC 8B73 27FA  FC7C 4086 63E3 80F2 40CF

IcedRobot: www.icedrobot.org
Proud GNU Classpath developer: http://www.classpath.org/
Read About us at: http://planet.classpath.org
OpenJDK: http://openjdk.java.net/projects/caciocavallo/