On 12/05/2023 13:30, Jakub Jelinek via Gcc wrote:
On Fri, May 12, 2023 at 11:33:01AM +0200, Martin Jambor wrote:
One fairly big GCC-internal task is to clear up the C test suite so that
it passes with the new compiler defaults.  I already have an offer of
help for that, so I think we can complete this work in a reasonable time
frame.

I'd prefer to keep at least significant portion of those tests as is with
-fpermissive added (plus of course we need new tests that verify the errors
are emitted), so that we have some testsuite coverage for those.

Whilst there is historical precedent for -fpermissive, I have to say that I don't like it. The problem is that it is too imprecise as to what it means (and changes over time). It also becomes the lazy way to paper over the problems being exposed and, in future, may mean that other (perhaps more important) issues that are detectable will be silently ignored if it becomes widely used.

R.