(replying to Joe Monk)

> It appears that this is not an issue that this version of GCC is
> architected to be able to solve.

> The first 64-bit PC processor, the AMD opteron series, was launched on
> April 22, 2003.

> GCC 3.2.3 was released on April 25, 2003.

Jakub has already shown correct x64 code being generated
by gcc 3.2.3. Maybe they used an emulator or something.

And I already have it running myself - with small modifications
for MSABI - on Windows 10 64-bit - for my pdptest test program.

The only thing not working for me at the moment that I know
about is negative indexes. And that is something specific to my
derivative (or more likely the way I built it), not standard gcc 3.2.3.

BFN. Paul.