Before the end of Stage 2 I'd like to upgrade the decNumber sources in
GCC to version 3.50, make minor changes to the compiler to handle an
endianness change, and change config/dfp-bit.[ch] to use new support
in decNumber to perform some calculations directly on the DPD format
rather than on the internal decNumber format.

This version of decNumber is quite different from what's currently in
GCC.  The pristine version of the sources uses C++-style comments and
CRLF, so I plan to use the following filter before checking in the
updated files:

  col \
    | sed -e 's,\([^:]\)//\(.*\),\1/*\2 */,' \
          -e 's,^//\(.*\),/*\1 */,' \
    | indent

I'll also make a few changes to avoid warnings from gcc.  Kaveh made
lots of constification changes about a year ago, but Mike Cowlishaw's
sources now have similar changes.  There will be a few remaining
differences from the GNU coding standard, notably the format of block
comments, but I'd like an exception so that we can easily upgrade to
future versions by passing them through the same filter and diffing.

There are several files in the new version of decNumber that we're not
likely to use in GCC but I'd like to include them in the GCC sources
so they can be used by other GNU projects, particularly EGLIBC.

Sorry for the late notice, but I've been working on approvals within
IBM and some critical people have been away for weeks.

Janis Johnson
IBM Linux Technology Center